Friday, November 21, 2008

Part 2.3/5: Marketing Mix- Programming

Programming

VIPs getting ready to mix the "Big Bowl of Bi-Bim-Bap"
photo taken from here

B-Boy Showdown by Last for One
photo taken from here


Fusion Drum Performance by DoDo
photo taken from here

Kim-Chi making class ingredients (provided)

fun photo corner

han-bok trying booth and the backdrop of a korean palace where a staff would help you take and develop your photo. For Free! (:

taekwondo demonstration by Singapore Taekwondo Federation


han-boks and hair pieces for anyone to try on!

han-bok trying booth

korean chefs scooping Bi-Bim-Bap for guests! it was a really HUGE BOWL

There was indeed a harmonious mix of exciting performances both traditional and modern that catered to all ages. The traditional performances included are the Fusion Drum performance, which is a showcase of the traditional Korean drums; a Taekwondo Demonstration, a Korean martial art with over 2,000 years of history and not forgetting the Sa-Mool-No-Ri also known as the traditional ensemble of 4 musical instruments namely the drum, double-headed drum, gong and small gong. As for the modern performances that may appeal to the younger generation more would be the B-Boy performance by the winner of 2007 World UK B-Boy Championship and also of course the K-Pop contest. Other than performances, there were also other activities programmed aimed to involve the guests. Guests could join in the free Kim-Chi making class, taste all kinds of Korean food and even try on traditional Korean Han-Bok and take photos against Korean backdrops which were printed out free for guests to keep as a memorabilia. One extra programme held on the first day would be the opening ceremony which was hosted by well-known Channel News Asia’s Suzanne Jung. The opening ceremony began with some welcome greetings and performances followed by the symbolic mixing of a “Big Bowl of Bi-Bim-Bap” to represent the amicable ties between Singapore and Korea. The big bowl of Bi-Bim-Bap was really huge and they were really generous with the helpings and I was lucky to get a bowl and taste the delicious Bi-Bim-Bap!

Since the programmes planned could cater to every one of all ages, it was without a doubt that it served as an advantage to the fiesta. The programmes contributed in showcasing the vibrancy of Korea and added life to the whole fiesta. And I am sure that through this fiesta, many more people became more interested in the culture and culinary aspects of Korea. I personally enjoyed the B-Boy performance, which was exhilarating to the maximum. I have heard of them before and I never thought that I would actually get to meet them up close and see them dance live! Unfortunately, I was unable to catch the K-Pop competition but I did see some of the acts practicing during their mic-test. After hearing snips of their songs, I must say, there are really many talented singers in Singapore!

As for suggestions for improvement in terms of programming, I would like to suggest that they have more class time-slots for the Kim-Chi making class. As there were only 4 time slots available with a limited number of 10 participants per time slot, it is simply to little! I was looking forward to signing up for one of the class and have a hands on experience, however, I was too late in signing up. Perhaps, they could have more teachers teaching or more time slots so that more people can sign up. Otherwise, they could also add more classes teaching how to make other Korean traditional food such as Korean salads or Kim-Chi pancakes.

No comments: